Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Smocked Bonnet

When I worked for " Joy's of Smocking", several years ago, we always made sure that we had a supply of ready-to-smock bonnets on hand before Easter. I still love to make a bonnet for special baby gift. Not only are they practical, they are lovely to display.

A bonnet is also a good beginner project if you are new to pleating and smocking. I know that there are patterns on the market, but I made my first bonnet by looking at one that I received as a gift. Here are the instructions for a newborn size.
Cut a piece of fabric 45" wide by 7".
Cut the selvage off both ends and pleat 6 rows of smocking 1" away from one edge.
Round off the fabric corners that are closest to the pleating. I use a embroidery hoop to trace around and then cut off the excess fabric.
Whip and roll lace edging around the two ends and the raw edge closest to the pleating.
On the remaining raw edge, turn under 1/2" twice and stitch to form a casing for the ribbon.
I started my smocking 1/2" from the ends and smocked 4 rows of Baby Waves. Simple Bullion rose buds were stitched using a Milliner's needle and two strands of white DMC floss. The only color on the bonnet are the pale green Lazy Daisy leaves, which can both be found in the "Heirloom Embroidery Book."
I cut two 18" pieces of 1/4" ribbon, and attach it to each side of the bonnet. I then stitched a Bullion rose to cover the stitching on the ribbon. Using a small safety pin, run a piece of ribbon through the back casing, drawing it up and tie a bow.
I like to do the bonnets in white, so that they can go with different outfits, but I also love when I can give a bonnet that matches a special dress!

To view a printable version, click here.

1 comment:

Shanna Smith said...

Hi, Michie

I just wanted to tell you how much I've been enjoying your blog! Seeing all of your precious little outfits is so much fun, and I really enjoy the instructions you give, like the smocked bonnet. Thanks so much for giving me something to look forward to that inspires my sewing!

Love,
Shanna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails